Ana loses Vandeweghe battle

Ana loses Vandeweghe battle

In a match that finished after midnight, Ana fell to world No.51 Coco Vandeweghe in the second round of the Rogers Cup. The 2006 Montreal champion lost 6-7(7), 7-6(7), 6-4.

The first set went entirely on serve and so a tiebreak was required to settle it. Despite the dominance of serve during the set, the first four points of the breaker went against serve. Ana eventually won points on serve and scored a mini-break that led to her taking the opening set.

It was the American who scored the first break of the match, breaking Ana to move 3-1 ahead in the second set. When Ana took a medical timeout at 4-1 down - she aggravated her hip in Stanford last week - the situation looked grave.

However, Ana hit back and leveleld at 4-4. There was drama in the ninth game when Ana believed she had broken for 5-4, and an opportunity to serve for the match, after the umpire had made an over-rule and adjudged a Vandeweghe forehand to have gone long. The American challenged, and Hawk-Eye showed that the ball had in fact bounced within the court. Vandeweghe won the replayed point, then held to take a 5-4 lead.

Serving at 5-6, Ana faced two break points when she fell 15-40 behind. She saved them both with some confident, bombastic hitting from the baseline, and she averted a third set point with a service winner. Another tiebreak ensued.

Vandeweghe went 3-1 ahead but Ana won three straight points to lead 4-3. However, the 22-year-old earned a fourth set point thanks to an excellent backhand cross-court winner. Ana saved it with more gutsy hitting, and a fifth set point was deterred with another service winner.

However, Vandeweghe eventually clinched the set when an unforced error from Ana handed the unseeded player her sixth set point, which she won on serve.

A letdown from Ana seemed inevitable, given that she was just millimetres away from serving for the match, and had been involved in a sea-saw tiebreak. Furthermore, there was the spectre of the injury that had required treatment in the second set.

Undeterred, Ana moved ahead 3-0 in the decider. But she was unable to sustain her level.

Conversely, Vandeweghe played some great tennis and totally turned things around, reeling off five straight games to lead 5-3.

Though Ana held serve to give herself a little hope, Vandeweghe closed out the match confidently one game later.